Romantic break in the Dordogne
With Saint Valentine’s day fast approaching, Les Milandes in the Dordogne is an ideal escape for couples seeking peace and serenity, away from the demands of modern day life. The skies are littered with stars at night rather than bright city lights. The nights are tranquil and languid, interrupted by the morning sun and birdsong. The area encourages a slower pace of life and an opportunity to disconnect from technology and unwind. Holidays are a chance for our bodies, and minds, to be reinvigorated and revitalised.
Whilst the heady heat of July and August make these fantastic months to lie by a sun-drenched swimming pool, the months of May, June and September are also lovely and more cost effective times to stay at our French holiday accommodation at Les Milandes, with the region quieter and temperatures often more comfortable.
Romantic things to do in the Dordogne
- A visit to a vineyard and a picnic enjoying the local scenery, indulging in delicious French cheeses and Bergerac wine.
- Watching the Dordogne River gently flow by from the prime riverside spot of Le Parc de Josephine Baker in Les Milandes.
- Dinner on the romantic dappled terrace with fabulous river views at the lovely La Belle Etoile restaurant in nearby La Roque-Gageac.
- Choose to stay at Le Manoir at Les Milandes. The luxury villa epitomises French elegance with its painted panelling, wooden floors and antique furniture. French windows in all the ground floor rooms lead to the garden with amazing views, the large pool and a choice of vine canopied terrace or al fresco sous l’arbre. The current refurbishment works will upgrade the master bedroom which will feature a 6 foot bed perfect for lazy mornings.
- Canoeing on the Dordogne River. Take in the numerous castles, the gardens at Marqueyssac and Josephine Baker’s former home, Château des Milandes. Some of the villages you can see along this particular stretch of the river are probably among the most photographed in the Dordogne; Beynac, Castelnaud-la-Chapelle and La Roque-Gageac. Here, you pass beneath dramatic castles on probably the most stunning canoe trip the area offers. Look up at the right time and you’ll see the fortified town of Domme perched on the edge of a cliff.
- A sunset hot air balloon ride over the magnificent Dordogne countryside.
- Horse riding is a great way for the two of you to explore the locality with a number of stables nearby.
- The Marqueyssac gardens are just a few kilometres from Les Milandes (3 kms east of Beynac in the Perigord Noir). The Marqueyssac gardens are one of France’s listed ‘Jardins Remarquable’. Perched high above the Dordogne River they provide stunning views with sweeping vistas of the French landscape. Visit on Thursday evenings in the summer and be dazzled by the sight of the Marqueyssac gardens lit by thousands of candles and fairy lights; truly a romantic experience in this most romantic of French gardens. Alongside this visual extravaganza you can also enjoy different musical shows. Candles are lit at dusk and the gardens are usually open until midnight (with last admittance at 11pm).
- A wander around the charming, medieval town of Sarlat about a 15 minute drive from Les Milandes. Sarlat has the highest density of ‘Historic Monuments’ and ‘Classified Monuments’ of any town in France. Read our previous blog for things to do in Sarlat.
- An evening walk as the sun fades in the stunning local countryside.